Friday, September 24, 2010

What A Waste of Oxygen

Looks like Evel's father (the biological one, not the one that matters) has managed to dodge Domestic Relations again.

After he took me back to court earlier this year to have his child support order for Evel dropped (yet again) and they told him to go screw himself (yet again), he finally started paying support. This after they threatened to throw his ass in jail (yet again). So he's been paying the support (I was actually able to buy Evel's school pictures this year! Yay!) until now. A day before his son's birthday. Seriously? This after he was excused from the final Contempt Court hearing. Just like last time. So I'm sure sometime in January I'll get another petition to drop support and the whole process will repeat.

And the reason that he wants me to drop support? Because I won't let him see Evel. WRONG! He chose to give up his relationship with his son so he was still able to go out and get wasted with his friends. I told him that I didn't want him around Evel if he was stoned (or under the influence of whatever his drug of choice was at the moment) and I never saw him again. So if that means I said I didn't want him to be a Dad to Evel, then I guess I said it.

But I will never drop the support order, nor will I forgive the arrears. This money doesn't go to me. It goes to my son. The measly $45 a week that you are supposed to pay ($2340 a year) goes toward:

$250.00  (roughly, for school clothes/supplies)
$150.00 (roughly, for summer clothes)
$333.00 (for school lunch; $1.85 a day x 180 days = $333)
$  75.00 (for his birthday party, on average)
$  75.00 (for his birthday present, on average)
$200.00 (for his Christmas presents, on average)
$  25.00 (for Easter presents, on average)
$  10.00 (for Valentine's Day present/Valentine's for school)
$  30.00 (for a Halloween costume and accessories, on average)
$  50.00 (for fall school pictures)
$  50.00 (for spring school pictures)
$100.00 (for football sign-ups and equipment)
$100.00 (for shoes, 2 pair per year average)
$260.00 (for allowance; $5 weekly x 52 weeks = $260)
$100.00 (for "random spending" such as the movies or skating with friends)

That is a grand total of $1808 for things that we KNOW he is going to need. This does not include "surprise" costs like money to participate in school functions or go on field trips and emergencies. After all of his scheduled maintenance is figured it, we're left with about $532. Divide that by 52 weeks and it gives us about $10.25 a week leftover for emergencies. I also have not had an increase (not even a cost of living increase) since 2000 when the support order was created. And yet he is able to petition me to have support dropped?

But the kicker is really that we had planned on taking Evel and a friend out to see a movie and get dinner this weekend to celebrate his birthday. Now I have to tell my son that we can't afford it but I can't tell him why because he's too young to be involved in any of this yet. How do you say to your kid, "Hey, sorry buddy but we're not going out for your birthday because your real dad is a worthless POS" without impressing that upon his opinion? I know it's not that great of an opinion to begin with but he needs to form it himself. I don't want him coming to me years down the road and accusing me of turning him against his dad. Oh then tangled webs that we weave.

I'm sure we have enough after bills that we'll wind up going out to do something to celebrate but I know he's going to be bummed. I should really know not to depend on this for anything by now. At least I got smart and bought his birthday present early when he was receiving support. It's ridiculous that I have to consider buying his summer clothes in January because he's receiving support and I don't know if it will still be there in May.

So to Evel's father, I would like to say that you are a complete waste of oxygen. You have done nothing in your life except hurt my son, even if you haven't seen him since he was three. The next time you decide to drive drunk, do us all a favor and drive your car off a bridge. At least then my son will understand why his father doesn't want to see him. I hate you for hurting my baby. May you rot in the hell that you have created for yourself here on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment