Thursday, September 9, 2010

Gold? In His Eyelid?

Just got home from Nutt's first appointment with the opthamologist. Can I say that I'm not a huge fan of the actual opthamologist? I like the resident opthamologist (who happened to be the same guy that we had when Nutt was born), but the regular guy is kind of a douche.

So anyway, we talked to Dr. Resident about the MRI results and about what Moebius Syndrome means for Nutt's eye. Basically, Nutt is going to have to rely completely on using drops for the rest of his life to keep his eye moist and healthy. If I was following correctly and we let the eye get dried out, it will basically just kind of give up trying to see. I'm not really sure how else to explain it. So that is priority #1 with Nutt. Keep that eye healthy.

We also discussed a surgery that can be done once Nutt is a little older that involved putting little weights that are made of gold into his eye in order to get it to close when he blinks. You can see it trying to blink now when he closes the other one and the extra weight from the gold would help it go the rest of the way. This would help him keep the eye lubricated and help him avoid being completely dependent on the drops for the rest of his life since the tear duct is formed and healthy. Awesome.

Then we met Dr. Douchebag who told us that gold weight surgery is a complete waste of time because if there's no nerve, there's not way he'll close his eye. Well, why the hell does it close when he sleeps? And why does it try to close when he blinks his other eye? So I ask Dr. Douchebag if he has any other patients with Moebius Syndrome. Nope. Just Nutt. But yet he's the "expert?" I can see that I am going to have it out with this man eventually. If there's something that can be done to help my son, I am going to do it. If it doesn't work, you can be the first person to tell me that you told me so.

Which yet again brings me back to how frustrating this whole diagnosis really is. We have two doctors with two completely different opinions. And Dr. Resident is leaving soon and sticking us with Dr. Douchebag. Can't wait.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment