Monday, February 7, 2011

Fair Weather Fans and The Super Bowl

It's that time of year again....time to sling mud at the "fair weather" fans that cheer for a team in the Super Bowl.

People get so up in arms about their football team being in the Super Bowl. They argue that they are the biggest fan and that everyone around them is just pulling for their team (as if they actually own the team and all rights to it) because they're doing well. They're probably right. Most of the people that come out of the woodwork during Super Bowl season have no idea what team they like. They watch football once a year because they have a friend that throws a kick ass Super Bowl party and if the team they're cheering for wins, that's their favorite team. If they lose, they'll be gone in the morning faster than a tequila fueled one night stand.

But the ridiculousness of the situation has now been amplified by Facebook. I've seen 11 posts this morning saying roughly the same thing - "It sucks that my team, the Steelers, didn't win, but I'm happy for Green Bay." What? You're team didn't win but you're happy for the other guys? This isn't intramural sports where we try to teach kids not to be sore losers...this is NFL football! This is the holy grail of the season! That's the equivalent of congratulating Hitler on conquering Poland. And you call yourself a fan.

I am a Minnesota Vikings fan. I have always been a Minnesota Vikings fan. My dad is a Minnesota Vikings fan. My Grandfather was a Minnesota Vikings fan. My youngest sister is a Minnesota Vikings fan (the other on abandoned us for the Jets and I have yet to forgive her). My sons will be raised to be a Minnesota Vikings fans. It's in our blood. I threatened my father with disownership because he said he was THINKING about pulling for Green Bay to win this year ("Dad, you call yourself a fan?? You don't pull for our division rivals! What in the hell is wrong with you??"). I have cried because my Vikings have gotten eliminated (numerous times) in the playoffs and wished the plague on the team that beat them. I didn't say "Oh well, hopefully the winning teams fans will get to see their team go to the Super Bowl!" I want MY TEAM to go to the Super Bowl!

Maybe that's because Minnesota has never won a Super Bowl. EVER. Hell, they've never even been to a Super Bowl in my lifetime. They've been to Super Bowls (four in the 70's but sadly, I wasn't around until '82) and just couldn't pull the trigger. We are tied with the Denver Broncos for the most Super Bowls LOST (4). I want my team to freakin win!

So I'd like to offer a permanent home to all of you fans that can't decide which teams bandwagon to hitch a ride on. COME TO THE MINNESOTA VIKINGS! We've never won a Super Bowl so no one can hold that over your head! And for the ladies we offer a lovely selection of purple to add to your wardrobe. Sure, Baltimore can offer purple, too, but can they offer the adorable braided Helga Horns? I think not! So when you get sick of orphaning your other teams and you're looking for a permanent home, the Minnesota Vikings will be here waiting for you!

Unless we're headed to the Super Bowl. Then you can kiss our asses.

 And since I love showing off my family so much, here are some Vikings highlights:

I made this for Poppi's profile picture on Facebook. He said he wanted one that would help get him chicks. Whadda ya think?

Trid (age 11) rawkin the Moss jersey that I got her when she was 5.
Mr. and Mrs. McVikings, Mr E and myself at the Vikings/Bills game in '06
Cheering for our team with random Vikings fans at the Buffalo Bills stadium
The aforementioned "adorable braided Helga Horns" modeled by yours truly.
Me and Evel getting ready to watch our Vikings lose to New Orleans in the playoffs
Nutt wasn't even here yet and he already had his first jersey!
Evel in his purple on MSAD '11
Trid in her Moss jersey on the day I bought it for her (age 5)
 












No comments:

Post a Comment