Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Update on the Job/Pegnancy Conundrum

So after much debate, Matt and I have decided that I will not be going back to work after the incidents that took place last Thursday.

I'm not going to get into much detail about this part of it, but I wound up locked in the staff office without food, water or a bathroom for over an hour until my bosses got there to calm the raging consumer (guy I took care of during the day) that was storming around the house.

After all of this happened, I was told by my bosses that the only way I could continue working at this position was to sign a waver saying that if my consumer harmed me or Nutt, I could not sue them. Matt and I talked it over and decided that there was no way in hell I would be signing that kind of waver. I had given up all of life's guilty pleasures to have a healthy baby and there was no way I was taking my chances with a guy that could snap at any minute. Due to my medical restrictions because of my doctor worrying that I am going to go into labor early, there are no other positions available at my company that I can perform right now. So my options were sign the waver or take my medical leave early.

We opted for me to take my medical leave early but since I haven't been at the job for a year, I do not qualify for Family Medical Leave which would hold my job for 12 weeks. I have to take a Leave of Absence so my job is not safe. As soon as I am out of Vacation and Sick time, my job will be posted (according to Union laws) and if anyone bids on it, I lose it. My boss said she will drag her feet as long as possible to avoid posting it but it's kind of out of her hands. I am able to keep my insurance as long as I am employed there but we're looking into other insurance options, just in case I lose it before Nutt is born.

So it sucks but we'll be able to squeak by and I would like to (let me rephrase, I need money so I am willing to) watch a couple of kids during the day after Nutt gets a little older. And after looking into preschools and daycare centers in the area, there is NO WAY that we can afford the $135 a week that it would cost to keep Nutt while I went back to work. Maybe if I had a job that paid more than $9.20/hr we could do it, but we'd barely be breaking even and then with me having to put gas in my car to drive an hour to work, it wouldn't be worth it.

But I guess this time off will give me a chance to get the nursery in order and get everything organized before we welcome our bundle of screaming, pooping, puking joy. I thought I would also get to spend time with Evel but he spends most of his time in his room (READING at that. I think someone swapped my kid with theirs. Why that was I'll never know) so I'm just kind of bored and I can't do much right now. It is pretty cool that I'll be able to spend time with Nutt since I never really was able to do that with Evel since I got knocked up in high school, then wasted my time at a trade school, then starting work right away.

So for all that asked and were concerned, this is what we've decided to do. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment