Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day: An Open Letter To All Politicians

Today is Tuesday, November 6, 2012.  It is also election day.  To commemorate this occasion, I have decided to write an open letter to ALL politicians based on many opinions that I have gathered, and the opinion that I hold myself. 

Dear politicians that represent us as Americans,

Today, November 6, is Election Day, and I will be going to the polls to vote.  I feel that this is my civic duty as an American, and also as a woman because of the fight that my predecessors endured to guarantee this right to me.  While I will be voting, I will not be voting for neither Mitt Romney or President Obama.  I will be exercising my right to vote by writing in the candidate that I believe will get this country moving in the right direction.  Sadly, it is not either major party candidate.  After weeks of watching friends' posts on Facebook, listening to passing conversations that people are having about the election, and speaking to friends and neighbors, I am not the only person that believes both candidates are wrong for America.  We are caught in a "lesser of two evils" situation, and we as Americans, are not happy about it. 

I have also heard many friends express the opinion that they aren't even going to waste their time voting.  The reasons range from they don't believe that either candidate represents them to them feeling that the Electoral College really decides the election.  After discussing this with numerous people, I will say that the most common reason that people are not going to the polls is that they believe that politicians are liars.  They lie to get into the positions of power, they abuse their titles, and they do not care about Americans.  Many of the people believe that politics and our government have become a joke. 

I am 30 years old and I have always paid attention to politics.  It saddens me to see so many young people giving up on their country because of politicians that abuse their elected positions.  In the state of Pennsylvania, our lawmakers were unable to pass a budget, but still received their base salaries of $82,000, as well as all of the money spent on pensions and health coverage.  All of this while school funding (pre-K through 12th, as well as post-secondary institutions) and transportation improvements (which this state freaking needs) were slashed.  With this coming from you, the politicians, that have been elected on the promises that you will make our state, as well as America, a better place.  No wonder young Americans think you are a joke. 

Another thing that I have noticed is the inability for many to cross party lines.  Our Republican run House of Representatives has promised numerous times to stall bills that our Democratic president has created in favor of their Republican version of the same bill.  Why not work together to come to a compromise?  Both sides are so unbelievably stubborn and unable to work together that nothing is getting done.  Why not listen to the American people and work toward what they want instead of having a pissing contest with each other?  Not everything in life is black or white (or should I say red or blue).

The final point that I would like to make to all politicians out there is that I believe many of you have forgotten the meaning and points made in the United States Constitution and Bill of Rights, as well as decisions by the Supreme Court that enforce these rights.  We are guaranteed the right to bear arms, so please limit your gun control laws.  We are guaranteed the right to privacy, so please understand that also includes the right to decide what I do with my body without government interference.  We are guaranteed the absolute freedom of religion, and in order for the right to be guaranteed to all citizens, church and state must be separate and no specific religion must be endorsed by our governmental leaders (I REALLY think that many politicians have forgotten this little tidbit).  Finally, I am guaranteed the freedom of speech, which means I am able to write you this letter to tell you what an absolutely horrid job you (most of you, Dem or Rep) are doing with this country.

While I know I am one person with an opinion that many others will not share, I felt that you as politicians should know that I still believe there are a few of you out there that honestly care about the Constitution and the Bill of Rights that our forefathers wrote to protect the rights and liberties of the good people of this country.  I will continue to research and listen during every election so that I many be able to find you and vote for you, even if I am told by everyone that I am throwing my vote away on a write-in that I know will not win.   I have faith in this country and I will continue to exercise my right to vote at every opportunity possible, even if people say that it isn't going to make a difference.

Sincerely,
The Feral Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment