Tuesday, October 23, 2012

No Critics?

I know that I have not always been the nicest person when it comes to my views on others:  I think elderly people are dangerous when operating any kind of motorized vehicle (shopping carts included), I cannot stand to see overweight kids eating fast food and I loathe litterbugs to the point that I've followed one across a parking lot to hand her the candy bar wrapper she tossed on the ground.  But the one place that I have never been judgmental is the gym.  I don't care if you are 10 or 100 pounds overweight (or not overweight at all)...if you took the initiative to go to a gym to get yourself into better shape, I will commend you on your efforts (plus the gym policy kind of forbids me from being critical of others).  So imagine my surprise when two snarky bitches were critical of ME (for the second time) this morning. 

We'll call these girls Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Asshat (TD and TA, respectively).  TD and TA are regulars in the gym that I attend, so I have never questioned their motives.  Sure, I see them walking 1.5 miles per hour on the treadmill down the row from me so they can chat and play Angry Birds on their phones, but I've never questioned it because they are still doing laps around everyone that is at home in bed.  I've also never said anything when they sit on the machines before, between and after their reps to gossip about TA's ex and his new girlfriend (who also attends the same gym at approximately the same time in the morning as TD, TA and myself).

I've seen these girls laughing at bigger people on treadmills and whispering about older people lifting weights.  I've even seen them talking about me.  Not once, but twice.  I have no idea why.  Maybe it's the sweat that is dripping out of every single pore on my body or the occasional grunt that slips out when I'm on my 11th or 12th rep.  I don't really know, but it bothers me.  I am there to exercise and get in shape, not to gossip with one of my friends about people that are in worse shape than me, which by the way, BOTH of these girls are.  If I walk out of the gym looking just as pretty as I did when I walked in, then I didn't work hard enough.

So today I said something.  I asked if there was a problem.  They both kind of looked at me and rolled their eyes.  I just smiled sweetly and told them that since there was no problem, maybe the needed to ask me something, like for exercise pointers (I believe my exact words were something along the lines of, "Maybe I can show you how to stop gossiping and exercise?").  I got the look of death, more eye rolls and two very bitchy answers of, "No thanks." I shrugged and walked away.  I can only imagine what was said as I headed over to the big girl machines. I'm currently waiting for my phone to ring to tell me that my workout card has been revoked.

Even if it is, I think I made the right decision.  To go to a gym to sit around and laugh at people that are trying to better themselves says to me that you are unhappy with yourself.  Maybe if you weren't so miserable, your ex wouldn't be with the cute little blonde that sweats just as much as me when she is at the gym.  Maybe if you actually busted your ass a little, you might look a bit more like that cute little blonde.  But to sit around and make jokes about other people while you are taking up machines that these people use to benefit themselves is a waste of time and money.  Trade your high horse for an exercise bike and USE IT.  I will not be ashamed for doing what that place was created for, and I will not be pressured into being uncomfortable by two little crones that don't understand that high school is over.  Most importantly, go sell bitchy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Am I the only one experiencing this in adulthood, too???  

No comments:

Post a Comment